Vibratory Bead Mill Vibrogen Cell Mill VI 6 (Edmund Buhler, Made in Germany)
The Edmund Buhler Vibratory Bead Mill Vibrogen Cell Mill VI 6 is a vibratory homogenizer for the dissolution of samples according to the ball mill principle, for the disintegration of cells, cell suspensions, or for the reduction of particles into finer powder. Both dry and wet grinding and milling can be used in cell disruption for DNA / RNA recovery.
Basic device incl. beaker support, without accessories.
|Speed:||4.500 rpm fix|
|Frequency:||75 Hz (constant)|
|Beakers:||15 - 200 ml|
|Cooling:||with dry ice or cooling water flow through the beaker|
|Order No.:||6055 000 (for the basic equipment)|
Beaker, stainless steel 15 ml
|Electrical supply:||115 V, 50 Hz (for the U.S.)|
|Dimensions (w x d x h):||485 x 340 x 370 mm|
Vibratory homogenizer is designed for the dissolution of samples according to the ball mill principle. Friction with rolling balls leads to the disintegration of cells, cell suspensions and defined reduction of particles into finer powder.Left, The customer will need to buy the PDVF or stainless steel beakers and glass beads separately Right principle of rolling ball disruption of materials
- used in the pharmaceutical industry for grindindg fine powders
- good for highly abrasive materials
- can disrupt very tough cell walls of yeast, bacteria, fungi, and plants
- The one disadvantage is that the beads may break and contaminate the material being ground.
- When you buy this Edmund Buehler product from MSE supplies you have the choice of stronger milling beads.
The Vibrogen Cell Mill was used to break up the cell walls of bakers’ yeast in a 1969 study . These authors were studying the extracted glucans in yeast cell walls. The following are some high lights of their protocol:
- glass beads (Ballotini no. 9). Edmund Buehler now sells a wide variety of glass beads from 0.1 to 1 mm in diameter. Many of the MSE supplies ceramic beads come in the 0.8-1.0 mm size used by the Vibrogen Cell Mill.
- Glass beads were removed with a filter.
- Fractured cell walls were rinsed free of soluble proteins by medium speed centrifugation.
- The Vibrogen Cell Mill was used a second time to achieve complete breakage.
Streptococcus pneumoniae is one of the most important Gram-positive pathogens. A 2013 study used a Vibrogen Cell Mill to study the lipoteichoic acid component of the cell wall of this pathogen. A 2015 study used the Vibrogen Cell Mill to study LTA in Streptococcus oralis cell walls. Some highlights of these protocols include:
- Used 0.1-mm glass beads
- Beads were removed by centrifugation.
- The LTA was solubilized in 20% SDS detergent by heating to 100oC. A hot plate shaker would work well for those repeating this protocol.
A 2011 study used the Vibrogen Bead Mill was used to isolate DNA from fecal samples from patients with irritable bowel disease. These authors also used glass beads and a commercial DNA isolation kit. The MSE Supplies customer might also want to purchase YSZ micro-milling media that can be used for DNA and RNA isolation. MSE Supplies customers may isolate bacterial DNA using the same medium used to lyse the cell walls.
We Also Recommend