Nano-Porous Ceramic Films
MetaPurex™ is a highly ordered (hexagonal closed-pack), optically transparent, straight pore, ceramic thin film produced by NANOPEC's proprietary process. In addition to achieving this level of order, NANOPEC production does not use toxic chemicals, such as ethylene glycol or Chromium VI (Cr+6) throughout its production, which guarantees safety in user-handling and biotech applications.
Typical applications of Nano-Porous Ceramic Films include:
1. Ultra-filtration: capable of eliminating all bacteria, including mycoplasma and most common viruses above 60 nm in diameter. Shop Through Pore Ceramic Film>
2. Tissue Engineering: in cell-culture the optimized nano-pores in MetaPurexTM serve as anchoring points for cell philopodia, promoting adhesion and faster differentiation. Up to 30% faster differentiation and growth has been observed. Shop by Through Pore Ceramic Film>
3. Nano-template fabrication: a perfect template for fabricating nano-wires, nano-rods, nanotubes, including gold, carbon and silicon. Shop by Supported Nano-Porous Ceramic Film>
4. Photonics: MetaPurexTM has tunable refractive index properties, from 1.8 to 1.0, which makes is an ideal medium to generate photonic components. Information processing in photonics is currently handled by artificial structures known as photonic crystals. The functionality of these structures depends on the periodic variation in refractive index, which results in photonic band gap in the structure at a frequency range. Multiple layers of alternating MetaPurexTM films with varying refractive index, or by periodic variation of some characteristic (such as thickness or pore diameter) can lead to dielectric waveguides and distributed Bragg reflectors (DBR). Shop by Supported Nano-Porous Ceramic Film>
5. Nano-containers are containers that can hold material volumes (solid, liquids, gels) on the order of a few nano-liters. In extreme cases, these containers can hold pico-liters or less. These have multiple applications, from bio-capsules for islet isolation (liver, renal, pancreas) to nano-reactors for production of chemical libraries, medical diagnostics, drug delivery or new genomic sequencing (NGS) containers for massively parallel sequencing of RNA and DNA. Shop by Close Pore Ceramic Film> or Supported Nano-Porous Ceramic Film>
6. Fuel cells: the nano-pores in MetaPurexTM can easily be filled with Nafion proton ion conductor membrane. Given the size of the pores (50-60 nm), the water micro-channels generated in MetaPurex nano-pores are more stable and numerous than in unsupported Nafion 1135, 115 or 117 proton exchange membrane. Shop by Through Pore Ceramic Film>
7. Nanotubular metal–insulator–metal capacitor arrays for energy storage: the large area inside the open volume of a nanostructured ceramic film template can be used to fabricate arrays of metal–insulator–metal nanocapacitors. These highly regular arrays have a capacitance per unit planar area of ~ 10 μF/cm^2 for 1-mm-thick ceramic film and 100 μF/cm^2 for 10-mm-thick anodic, significantly exceeding previously reported values for metal–insulator–metal capacitors in porous templates. It should be possible to scale devices fabricated with this approach to make viable energy storage systems that provide both high energy density and high power density.
8. Through hole membrane as separator for Lithium ion batteries: Good mechanical strength, electrolyte infiltration and retention compared to commercial polymer separators. Better cycling stability, rate capability and low-temperature performance are superior also to polymer separators. The excellent electrochemical performance can be attributed to good amphiphilic characteristic, high porosity and uniform through-pore structure of these ceramic film separators.
9. Direct contact membrane desalination: Direct contact membrane distillation (DCMD) processes exploit water-repellant membranes to desalt warm seawaters by allowing only water vapor to transport across. While perfluorinated membranes/coatings are routinely used for DCMD, their vulnerability to abrasion, heat, and harsh chemicals necessitates alternatives, such as ceramics. Nanoo-porous superhydrophobic ceramic films accomplish the separation of hot salty water (343 K, 0.7 M NaCl) and cold deionized water (292 K). The average vapor fluxes, J, across three sets of ceramic membranes with average nanochannel diameters (and porosities) centered at 80 nm (32%), 100 nm (37%), and 160 nm (57%) varied by < 25%. The high thermal conductivity of the ceramic membranes reduced the effective temperature.
10. Enhanced lithium ion battery cycling of silicon nanowire anodes by template growth to eliminate silicon underlayer islands: The formation of parasitic Si islands for Si nanowires grown directly on metal current collectors can be avoided by growth through nano-structured ceramic templates containing a high density of sub-100 nm nanopores. Using these templates significantly enhanced cycling stability for Si nanowire-based lithium-ion battery anodes can be achieved, with retentions of more than ∼1000 mA·h/g discharge capacity over 1100 cycles.
11. Performance enhancement of pc-Si solar cells through combination of antireflection and light-trapping: Nano-structured ceramic films can be put on the front side of pc-Si solar cells to serve as anti-reflecting coating and light-trapping structures. On the basis of the Fresnel Reflection Principle, primary reflection losses can be reduced by multi-layer dielectric film with varying refractive index, regarded as anti-reflection coating. This leads to an increase of short-circuit current density (1.32 mA/cm2) with SiNx:H/Ceramic film complex coating. The relative power conversion efficiency obtains a growth about 2.2% points.
Select literature for each of these applications is available upon request at email@example.com.
Similarly priced commercial aluminum oxide films lack the degree of order and narrow pore shape achieved through NANOPEC low temperature process. For a limited time we are offering volume and introductory promotional discounts with Promo Code nanopecpromo. Order today!